Sunday, May 20, 2012
Chicken Noodle Soup (adapted from allrecipes.com)
I like chicken soup to be a little chunkier, so my adapted version does not have a ton of broth. If you like more broth in your soup, feel free to add more chicken broth and decrease the amount of egg noodles.
--1/4 cup butter
--1 teaspoon minced garlic
--1 cup chopped celery
--1/4 cup chopped onion
--The meat from one rotisserie chicken from your grocery store
--1/2 cup sliced carrots
--6 cups chicken broth
--1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
--1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
--1 bay leaf
--1 tablespoon dried parsley
--12 ounce package egg noodles
1. In a dutch oven, saute butter, garlic, celery and onion until onions are translucent.
2. Add chicken, carrots, chicken broth, marjoram, pepper, bay leaf and dried parsley and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Add egg noodles and simmer for 10 more minutes.
Monday, May 21, 2012
Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Lemonade Chicken (from www.sixsistersstuff.com)
--4 chicken breasts
--1 (6 oz) frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
--5 tablespoons brown sugar
--1/4 cup ketchup
--2 tablespoons white vinegar
--2 tablespoons cornstarch
--2 tablespoons cold water
--Sesame seeds (optional)
1. Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Place chicken breasts on the bottom of your slow cooker.
3. In a bowl, combine lemonade, brown sugar, ketchup and vinegar.
4. Pour lemonade mixture over chicken breasts.
5. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
6. Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred.
7. Mix together cornstarch and water.
8. Add cornstarch mixture to remaining sauce in the slow cooker.
9. Cook sauce until it thickens.
10. Add chicken to the slow cooker.
Serve over rice and stir fried vegetables.
Tuesday, May 22, 2012
Chicken Enchilada Soup (penniesonaplatter.com)
I love, love, love my Chicken Taco Soup recipe, but I'm also looking for new takes on my favorites. Hopefully this one will become a staple in our household.
--1/2 cup chicken broth
--2 cups milk
--1 can (15 oz) dark kidney beans, rinsed and drained
--1 can (14.5 oz) Rotel diced tomatoes
--1 can (14.5 oz) sweet corn, drained
--1/2 cup onion, chopped
--12/ cup bell pepper, diced
--1 (16 oz) can green enchilada sauce*
--3 boneless, skinless chicken breast
*I used green taco sauce.
1. Add broth, milk, beans, Rotel, corn, onion, green pepper and enchilada sauce to slow cooker and stir.
2. Add chicken.
3. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
4. Transfer chicken to plate and shred.
5. Add the chicken back into the soup.
Friday, May 25, 2012
Beef Fajitas (www.ringaroundtherosies.net)
I love the beef fajita recipe I posted in December but wanted to try this one too!
--2 lb. beef round steak* cut into strips
--2 (8 oz) cans diced tomatoes w/chiles
--1 large onion, but into strips
--1 green pepper, cut into strips
--1 red pepper, cut into strips
--2 tsp cilantro
--2 cloves garlic, minced
--2 tsp chili powder
--2 tsp cumin
--salt and pepper to taste
1. Add all ingredients to your slow cooker.
2. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
Serve with corn or flour tortillas and all your favorite fixings. I also recommend serving this with my favorite Black Beans with Quinoa recipe.