Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken (from lakelurecottagekitchen.blogspot.com)
I love teriyaki chicken, and I love this recipe because it involves the slow cooker. I've tried a lot of different teriyaki recipes, and this one may be my favorite. It's really delicious! And there was enough leftover that we were able to freeze it for a dinner in the future.
--2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs
--3/4 cup sugar
--3/4 cup soy sauce
--6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
--3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
--3/4 teaspoon minced garlic
--1/4 teaspoon pepper
--4 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
--4 1/2 teaspoons cold water
1. In the slow cooker, mix together the sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, garlic and pepper.
2. Add chicken to the slow cooker.
3. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
4. Remove chicken to a serving platter and keep warm.
5. Skim fat from cooking liquid.
6. Place liquid in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
7. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth.
8. Gradually stir into liquid and stir until sauce thicken.
9. Pour sauce over the chicken and serve.
I served my teriyaki chicken over white rice and steamed vegetables.
Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwiches (from sixsistersstuff.com)
Seeing that my husband and I are both from Chicago, we are always looking for an Italian Beef that rivals Portillo's. Let's see how this stacks up!
--3 lb. roast (I used top round roast because it was on sale)
--2 packages dry Italian salad dressing mix
--1 cup water
--1 16 oz. jar pepperoncini peppers
1. In the slow cooker, mix together water and salad dressing mix.
2. Add roast to the slow cooker.
3. Add the peppers.
4. Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours.
5. Shred the roast with two forks.
Serve with sandwich buns of your choice (we used hoagie rolls). We are having baked potato wedges with our Italian Beef Sandwiches.
Marinated Flank Steak (from Weight Watchers)
Wednesday is our three year wedding anniversary, but since it is the middle of the week we'll celebrate at home! The good thing the grill is finally ready for some summer grilling!
--3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
--1 tbsp. olive oil
--2 tsp dried oregano
--2 tsp minced garlic
--1/4 tsp black pepper
--1 1/2 pounds flank steak
--1/2 tsp salt
1. In a freezer bag, combine vinegar, olive oil, oregano, garlic and black pepper.
2. Add flank steak and turn to coat.
3. Seal bag and marinate in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. (I froze my steak in the marinade, it is a great trick I learned almost ten years ago. As the meat defrosts it marinates in the yummy marinade.)
4. Remove steak from marinade and discard marinade.
5. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
6. Grill steak, turning once, until medium rare. About 15 minutes
We are having our flank steak with roasted red potatoes and steamed veggies.
Slow Cooker Beer Chicken (from www.mydailydish.com)
--4 to 6 chicken breasts
--1 can/bottle of beer (any kind)
--1/2 tsp garlic powder
--1/2 tsp basil
--1/2 tsp paprika
--1/2 tsp black pepper
--1/2 tsp kosher salt
1. In the slow cooker, combine beer, garlic powder, basil, paprika, pepper and salt.
2. Add chicken.
3. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
We are keeping things simple on Thursday and having our beer chicken with rice and Steamfresh veggies.
Slow Cooker Pulled-Pork Tacos (from Real Simple)
This recipe is a staple in our house because it is that good.
--2 1/2 lb. pork roast
--1 jar of salsa (16 ounces)
--2 tablespoons chili powder
--2 tablespoons dried oregano
--2 tablespoons cocoa powder
--1 teaspoon salt
1. In slow cooker, combine salsa, chili powder, oregano, cocoa powder and salt.
2. Add the pork and turn to coat.
3. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
4. Just before serving, shred the pork and stir into the cooking liquid,
Serve with tortillas, shredded Monterrey Jack cheese, sour cream and extra salsa. I am also making my new favorite side dish, black beans with quinoa.
Chili-Lime Chicken Kabobs (from allrecipes.com)
I love, love, love kabobs in the summer. I found this recipe last year when I was on maternity leave and I loved it - it beats paying extra for pre-made kabobs at the grocery store.
--3 tablespoons olive oil
--1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
--1 lime, juiced
--1 teaspoon chili powder
--1/2 teaspoon paprika
--1/2 teaspoon onion powder
--1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
--Pinch of cayenne pepper
--Salt and pepper, to taste
--1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts - cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces.
--Onion, green peppers, pineapple, red peppers - cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces.
1. In a Ziploc bag, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, lime juice, chili powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
2. Place the chicken in the Ziploc bag and coat.
3. Seal and marinate for at least one hour. (I froze my chicken in the marinade, just like I did with the flank steaks.)
4. Thread the chicken and veggies on the skewers and discard the marinade.
5. Preheat the grill for medium-high heat.
6. Lightly oil the grill plate and grill skewers for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the chicken juice runs clear.
We are having our kabobs with rice pilaf.