This past week, Italian Sausage was on sale at Giant (our grocery store) for $3.99. I had a coupon for 50 cents off, and Giant doubled that coupon. So I was able to purchase the package of Italian Sausage for $2.99. And since I had all the other ingredients for this in my pantry, dinner tonight only cost $2.99! Here is what's for dinner...
Slow Cooker Italian Sausage with Sauce (adapted from allrecipes.com)
- 1 package of Italian Sausage
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 1 green pepper (seeded and sliced)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 2 (6 oz) cans tomato paste
- 1 (15.5 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
--Boil Italian Sausages in water for 10 mins
--While the Italian Sausage is boiling, combine the remaining ingredients in the slow cooker.
--Add the Italian Sausage and stir to cover.
--Cook on low for 8-10 hours, or high 4-6.
--Serve on Hoagie rolls, over rice or over pasta.