Shredded Chicken Filling (adapted from America's Test Kitchen Slow Cooker Revolution)
Makes 4 cups
-1 onion, minced (I used 1 tablespoon onion powder)
-3 tablespoons chili powder
-3 garlic cloves, minced
-2 teaspoons ground coriander
-2 teaspoons ground cumin
-1 can tomato sauce, 8 ounces
-1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
-2 pound boneless chicken breasts
-Salt and pepper
-1 tablespoon lime juice
1. Add onion, chili powder, garlic, coriander, cumin, tomato sauce and sugar to slow cooker.
2. Season chicken with salt and pepper, add to slow cooker and coat evenly with sauce mixture.
3. Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 8-10 hours (depending on your slow cooker)
4. Transfer chicken to a large bowl and shred.
5. Let liquid in slow cooker cool and remove any fat from surface with a large spoon.
6. Toss shredded chicken with 1 cup liquid; add more liquid as needed to keep moist and flavorful.
7. Stir in lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Filling can be refrigerated in airtight container for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 1 month. If frozen, let filling thaw completely before using.