On Monday, I had a few girlfriends over for dinner. Without my slow cooker, it would have been so hard to pull dinner together after work while getting the little one ready for bed. Luckily, the black bean and corn salsa chicken cooked all day while I was at work and the rest was easy to throw together when I got home. There was even enough chicken leftover to make two freezer meals for later.
Black Bean and Corn Salsa Chicken (www.sixsisterstuff.com)
-2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
-2 cans corn, drained
-1 package taco seasoning
-4 to 5 chicken breasts
-1 cup salsa
-3/4 cup water or chicken broth
-Put beans, corn, taco seasoning and water/chicken broth in slow cooker and mix together until seasoning is dissolved.
-Place chicken breasts on top and spread salsa on chicken.
-Cook on low for 8 hours.
I served with flour tortillas, hard taco shells, cilantro, shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped tomato and guacamole.
Guacamole (from www.allrecipes.com)
-3 avocados - peeled, pitted and mashed
-1 lime, juiced
-1 teaspoon salt
-1/2 cup diced onion
-3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
-2 roma (plum) tomatoes, diced
-1 teaspoon minced garlic
1. In a medium bowl, mash together the avocados, lime juice, and salt.
2. Mix in onion, cilantro, tomatoes, and garlic.
3. Refrigerate one hour for best flavor or serve immediately.
Black Bean with Quinoa (from www.allrecipes.com)
-1 teaspoon vegetable oil
-1 onion, chopped
-3 cloves garlic
-3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
-1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
-1 teaspoon ground cumin
-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
-Salt and pepper to taste
-1 cup frozen corn kernels
-2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
-1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
2. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
3. Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth.
4. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
5. Bring the mixture to a boil.
6. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
7. Stir frozen corn into the saucepan and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through.
8. Mix in the black beans and cilantro.